View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Earl Klugh - "Naked Guitar". Earl Klugh is known mostly for his "smooth jazz" albums, but Naked Guitar is an awesome solo guitar album. I'd go so far as to say Earl Klugh is to the guitar as Bill Evans is to the piano.

+1 for Ted Greene! There are some great resources on the internet if you are interested in his playing.

Joe Pass has several solo guitar albums including the aforementioned Virtuoso series. I also like his "I Remember Charlie Parker", "At Akron University" and "Songs for Ellen" albums (all solo guitar work).

Jimmy Bruno put out a great solo guitar album several years ago entitled "Solo". I think if you like Joe Pass, you'll appreciate Jimmy Bruno's offering.

Don't forget Eric Skye, who is also a frequent Acoustic Guitar Forum contributor. He's got several nice solo guitar albums.

Royce Campbell also has several solo guitar albums that are very good.

Mundell Lowe's Guitar Moods is not 100% solo but contains mostly solo guitar pieces and among my favorite jazz guitar albums. Mundell always plays with a drop D tuning much like Johnny Smith.

Lastly, I'll mention George Van Eps (7-string guitarist). While he is not my favorite, he really developed a pretty complete method of playing solo jazz guitar on the 7-string and influenced a lot of other great players.

Kudos to Vernon for suggesting Tsuyoshi Ichikawa. Never heard of him before, but now have his solo guitar album...THANK YOU!
Earl Klugh plays a flattop, does he not?

Not that it matters, just asking out of curiosity.