View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Default $3 high quality, long duration home made humidifier

Because of photobucket issues - i reposted this topic HERE

I've been very interested in case humidifiers. I prefer the Oasis case humidifier but also tried Hurco clay pots and Planet Waves sound hole humidifiers.

I've read a lot of people's ideas for a home made humidifier and here is mine:

I wanted a humidifier that is easily serviced, easy to make, robust and reliable (not cheap). I wanted one that would provide humidity longer than a simple sponge-type.

The following components were used:

One O-cello sponge (in a $2 four-pack) from grocery store $0.50
A tiny portion of one ($2) bag of flower water beads from Walmart $0.50
A scew-cap travel jar from the grocery store $1.50

First, I made and printed a pattern for the vent holes. I drilled these with a 3/32" bit in the screw cap.

I cut the sponge using the screw-cap outside as a template. Then I pressed the sponge into the cap.

I filled the jar with already soaked water gel beads.

Now, the water beads hold a lot of water. They will evaporate it slowly. The sponge is just there as a screen and extra safety measure in case the beads drip or misbehave (although they never should). So the large volume of water in the beads will humidify the sponge which will humdify the case.

Similarly, I put a larger sponge in my planet waves soundhole humdifier, then put 5-6 water beads in, then another strip of sponge. This humidifier dried up every 2 days so the beads should keep the sponge moist for considerably longer.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 08-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.