View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Joseph,

Which is why, I'd assume, that my three-year old Mackie SRM450 active Monitors, with more conventional but heavier power amps: a Class G, Parametric Servo Feedback for low frequency, and Conventional Class AB for high frequency is probably more reliable under varying operating conditions than the new Class D power-amp-Based Mackie SRM450V2. The older SRM450 is 10 lbs. heavier than the newer SRM450V2. Also, the older SRM450 speakers have a conventional magnet in their low-frequency speaker but the new SRM450V2 low-frequency speakers are neodymium-magnet equipped. Maybe some of that extra weight is worth it for the greater reliability of the SRM450 power amps? What do you think? Thanks.

Regards,

SpruceTop
In audio, particularly live audio, the old adage that "you can't have your cake and eat it to" is a mantra. Light plastic boxes loaded with digital power amps, digital crossovers and neodymium magnet speakers with cheap aluminum frames are unfortunately gonna sound like.......... light plastic boxes loaded with digital power amps, digital crossovers and neodymium magnet speakers with cheap aluminum frames.

I know many who are willing to concede to that because the ability to tote them around with relative ease outweighs the lack of sonic response in their world. I'm good with that as long as we don't start confusing what the specs mean in the real world.

I'm not sure about reliability comparisons. The Digital Amps may well be very reliable. I do know that the market demands the QSC's and The Mackie's and the JBL's be light and powerful. That's what research says you and I want. That said ya just simply can not have light and powerful and concert level cleanliness and tone in one package. Somethings gotta give.

You're NOT gonna see Pink Floyd tour with Digital Power Amps and neodymium loaded turbo packs and for good reason