Thread: Why cheap?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeehler7 View Post
The reason I would get a cheap nylon guitar is because I know I would only play it occasionally, and it would just be sort of a side project. I'm not very into nylon guitars, and I know a lot of other steel stringed players sort of feel the same way. Also because I don't play nylon stringed guitars much, it's a lot harder for me to tell the difference between a good nylon and a bad nylon.
That's exactly what I thought until I heard and played a really great nylon guitar - a Phillip Woodfield. I'd played quite a few nylon strings up until then but that guitar blew me out of the window. Believe me, it was really easy to tell the difference from a lesser guitar, just as it is to tell a great steel-string from a merely good one.

Indeed, that guitar changed a lot of things for me: I now play steel string infrequently and play the classical guitar a lot more. It's far more difficult to play (in terms of getting the right noise out of it rather than fingering) but I'm really enjoying the technical challenge and new repertoire to explore.

I'm guessing that when I'm over the relative novelty, I'll settle down to about 50% steel and 50% nylon.

No problem buying a "cheap" classical but it will entice you to pick it up about as much as a "cheap" steel-string.

Cheers,
Steve