View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbn73 View Post
Tony, I'm sure you don't mean for this to sound as condescending as it comes across to me personally. I don't understand all the implications about being "all theoretical". I haven't read anything particularly preachy or know-it-all in this thread. Just seems a bit much. Anyway, talking about a simple approach which utilizes pentatonic scales isn't "obsessing" over anything as far as I'm concerned.

Here's something I did this afternoon before a meeting. Should have checked the level first. There's a weird pitch shift phenomena toward the end too, but it's a basic idea. Didn't actually listen to the tune today, but it's what I remember of wild horses. I know it's a different feel..
https://youtu.be/iJOEYiPw8WQ
mattbn73,

I am glad you checked with me before interpreting my post. Condescending didn't even cross my mind. That was not my intention at all.

What I am reacting to is not you. You made things very straight forward. Instead, it seems as if threads like this tend to get AWAY from your simple "just try the Bmin pentatonic..." and into "well, if we know the chord progression we can advise what to play over what chord".

I really wonder how much of that stuff people really use in their day to day playing. If they do, why not post an example to show us how it really works in practice?

Edit:

Watching your video, I think we are arriving at the same end from slightly different ways of approaching it. For the kind of music you are talking about, I use what I call the "lilly pad" approach. I know the various pentatonic scales all over the fretboard. These are a vocabulary, much as we use words (interesting, you just talked about that in your video...). I simply resolve (land) on "safe notes", which are the notes in whatever chord is happening at the time, and play whatever I feel in between. It is really easy to do and requires no thought, but instead just learning to hear. The main thing to me is to play in phrases like sentences so there is some sense to it, and not just rambling. I tried to show some of that phrasing in my recording.

Just as we have to have a vocabulary to post in this thread or have a direct conversation and not have to think about each word, so it is for me with soloing (and obviously for you).

I think if the OP were to watch your video several times to take it all in (all 8 minutes), that person would have plenty to work on and lots to listen to. I think you can now see why I am rather adamant about posting a video or MP3. I have put up videos to illustrate a point too.

This time, I made a WAV file because I needed to overdub a lead over a chord progression, which I could do in a video if I hooked up a bunch of stuff (amp, looper), but I didn't have that kind of time, so I just grabbed a recorder and made a recording on the fly. I decided that if I gave a musical example, the OP could listen to it and figure it out since it is really a simple example.

Anyway, nice job and thanks for taking the time to make that video. I am glad we got things cleared up too.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 08-06-2017 at 07:02 PM.