Thread: Ukulele advice
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Ok, I know this isn't a Ukulele Forum, but I figure some of you play one. My wife is interested in playing and I know absolutely nothing about the instrument. Anything we should look for or consider as we embark on this adventure?
You want solid wood if you want a really nice sound. Kala makes a very nice Mahogany tenor that is very popular. If you have the $$ get a martin. I recommend CONCERT size. Its not the smallest or the biggest so it is the safest bet. If you want it to sound more guitar-like put a LOW G string on it, quiet lovely. If you do get a Martin, I recommend Worth Brown strings on it for a mellow sound, or go full Martin with Martin strings. I also like Pono a lot but its more $$ then Kala. Kala is the safer of the cheaper range.

Ukulele sizes:

Soprano - Smallest and tiny and possible to get hand cramps!
Concert - A little bigger, the middle child
Tenor - A lot of the professional ukulele players wind up on tenor's, probably because they are louder and a fuller sound from the larger body.

Baritone - tuned differently, its like a tiny guitar missing two strings, harder to find tabs/music for because it's less common.

Google jake shimabukuro if you've never seen him and be prepared to be blown away. He's made the Kamaka Tenor very popular
Pono Baritone Uke