View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Sobel View Post
You're welcome to take my opinion or not, I am a classical guitar luthier. The excursion of nylon strings is huge compared to steel strings, partly because of the strings themselves and partly because the top is generally much more flexible which contributes to string excursion... there is not a classical luthier that I know that would set up a guitar with no clearance at the 1st fret because it will buzz regardless of how much relief the neck has. As an aside, the nut is usually compensated forward .5mm in classical guitars.

Typical concert level action on a classical guitar is 3mm high E to the 12th fret, 4mm low E to the 12th fret, and at least .5mm above the 1st fret for all strings. That enables a good player to dig in and not buzz too much, although many players will use a higher action than what I've listed.

Cheers,

Chris
And how do you measure the .5mm above the first fret?
You just measure the top of fret to bottom of string. In steel string we measure by fretting 3rd fret and measuring 1st fret with feeler gauges .002-.-004. I assume classical would be a little higher.