View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Budget amplification advice for "open mics" - updated

As stated before the update...
Half of these "open mics"(saraus) don't have pro gear (PAs, acoustic amps, instrument mics, phantom power, etc), or audio engineers, just a simple amp and a simple mic, the rest is hauled by whoever goes.
The performances are varied, with poetry, short films, dance, music and so on.
Overall volume/noise is usually low, since most people go to these to see the performances and trade experiences.
I play mostly fingerpicking instrumentals in open tunings. I get by unamplified using figerpicks, but I want something to be heard playing without fingerpicks. I have 2 guitars (one being a weissenborn), both without the jack hole drilled. Installing 2 pickups right now would go above my budget even with cheap pickups (there aren't any reliable guitar techs in my city).
I'm trying to expend as little as possible, and will only considering expending a little more if whatever I buy could be used if I choose to upgrade.

I've come down to these choices and any help would be welcome

0US$ - Use whatever mic they have with whatever amp they have
Pros - Free, nothing to haul other than the guitar
Cons - Mic/amp not aimed toward instruments

99US$- Bring a sm57 and plug into whatever amp they have
Pros - Probably a huge upgrade from the usual low quality mics, upgradable into dual source/tonedexter(for training)
Cons - I have no clue what amp/PA will be available, need to bring a xlr to 1/4 cable just in case, not sure if there will be any impendance issues, or if some sort of preamp/di will be needed

189US$ - Install a SD Mag Mic when going to an open mic and removing after
Pros - Cheap for a dual source system, will still have a natural sound thanks to the mic, can plug even into an electric guitar amp and will sound like a jazz guitar without the mic, so I guess I will not need to buy a preamp/di for now
Cons - Kinda of a hassle installing and removing it everytime that I decide to go out, not upgradable into my favorite dual source (external mic + sbt), neither will work with a tonedexter

250US$ - Bring an used sm81 + an ART Tube MP (for phantom power) and plug in whatever amp/PA they have
Pros - Even a bigger upgrade from the usual cheap mics, upgradable, would also be used for recording
Cons - Same as with the sm57

Last edited by Vindellama; 01-14-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: new info