View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
The point of angle X , as you refer to it , makes a difference when you consider the length and how much leverage it creates at X .
1 pound at the end of a 1/2" lever will not create the force of 1 pound at the end of a 1" lever .
Please consider this .
The only angle that makes any difference is the break angle, which is the deflection the string makes as it passes over the saddle. See the FEA plot in post #32, it was developed and refined by people who understand the math and physics, and it's a decent model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
But doesn't the lever start at angle X (the bridge) rather than under the bridge plate?
I agree.
Quote:
Tension is present along the entire string path , is it not ?
Yes, what's your point? It exerts a compressive force on the bridge plate, and a compressive force on the top of the saddle. After it passes the saddle, the string is a rigid part of the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Yeah, but the tension is the same from the bridgeplate to wherever the string angles on the bridge regardless of how long that distance is - whether it's an inch or a foot. I think!
The tension in that section has no effect other than the compression on the bridgeplate and top of saddle.
Quote:
Forgive my formal training .
Communication is the ultimate goal .
There are 2 points where torque is applied to a bridge as we are discussing it .
No, there's only one.
All these forces have been discussed at length, and the experts are all in general agreement about what they are. This is a relatively simple statics problem, dynamic response is where it gets more difficult.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 12-23-2017 at 09:48 PM.