View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Side note. I'm constantly having issues with things moving after they've been glued.
Many glues make parts behave like they are greased. If there are unbalanced forces, parts will slide or rotate, one relative to the others. Go bars placed so that side loads are imparted will cause glued components to slide. Clamps that have handles/pads that twist can cause parts to rotate as the clamp is tightened, or, in some cases, as the glue dries. Clamps that clamp flat, such as quick-release and cam clamps, can be placed so that their own weight will induce forces that cause side loads, causing the clamped parts to creep as the joint dries. Cam clamps can be purposely applied so that they push or pull an object being clamped, such as when trying to push two pieces together while vertically clamping them.

There is technique involved, as there is with most tools. It isn't as simple as just clamping the **** of something. In some cases, people use pins or other alignment techniques to keep parts where intended during clamping and glue drying. For example, I use two small nails (brads) through two fret slots to keep the fingerboard aligned while clamping/glueing. It is a common technique. Some use the same technique for bridge gluing. I use two bolts through the two outside bridge pin holes. And so on. Even a layer of masking tape can go a long way towards preventing parts from moving, used as an edge against which to butt parts, or as a temporary means of holding parts while applying clamps. Observe what others have done and apply it as you see fit.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 06-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.