View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Thanks Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It is pretty common that beginning builders want to "hit it out of the park" with their wood selection on their first (or second) guitar. Beginning builders, especially if self-taught, are going to encounter problems and make mistakes - even the most experienced builders make mistakes. Instead, using tried-and-true, easy to work with woods - not the most expensive, not the rarest, not the most exotic - makes more sense. I'm not advocating that beginner's use "junk" wood to build with, but, instead, start with more modest materials while learning the basics of the craft.
Actually thats one of the reasons I went with Tasmanian Blackwood, the research I'd done beforehand was saying it wasn't a particularly challenging wood to work with yet looks good and sounds good. Its also not that expensive, its just not the easiest to get hold of as its not exactly local to Switzerland (my initial plan was to go with Cocobolo but noone would sell me any across borders, plus it was much more expensive and probably a bit too tricky to use for build no. 2 so it was an easy decision not to go with it in the end). I'm not looking for the worlds flamiest sides, i'd just like something with some interest in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Bending machines are great, but nothing beats the speed and flexibility of a skilled luthier bending over a hot pipe. Bending over a hot pipe is a skill well worth learning, if you have the will to do so.

If you go to my website, http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html, you'll find some dimensioned sketches of Charles Fox's bending machine - he and George Morris invented it - as it was in the 1970's. Dimensions are in inches, but can easily be converted to suitable metric sizes. That will give you some specifics of bending machine design and sizes. I've used the same bender for the last 30+ years, only last year switching from light bulbs to a heating blanket.

It is a fair bit of work to source all the bits and pieces, make the forms and assemble it all. Buying the controller, probes and blanket won't be inexpensive: it is an investment like any other guitar-making tool.
I already own a bending iron, so I'm happy to learn to use it, but it would be handier if I had a tool/device that was less likely to make or create mistakes, especially when i'm likely to make other mistakes more often in other areas but I have to get to those areas first.

Having spent the afternoon investigating, (and thanks access to the plans by the way) the cost of a side bending machine is looking to be higher than I initially thought, mostly because of the temperature controllers. Those things are easily double my guesstimated costs. At this point, due to the fact that I'm going to have to buy more sides, i'm not sure I can spring for a side bender too, that money could/should/probably will go straight towards some decent sharpening stones instead.