Thread: Sexauer/'14
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
3) Years ago, when researching for his book, Ervin Somogyi asked me what I do differently from other luthiers that might be of interest. I had no idea what anyone else did and couldn't answer the question. Then I started hanging here in the forums and I've learned a great deal about the styles and methods of other builders.

My off the top building style emanates from Spain, and is actually more common in classical of guitar construction. The first luthier I was influenced by was Michael Dunn, and he had just returned from an apprenticeship on Mallorca. The first Lutherie book I saw was Irving Sloane's "Classical Guitar Construction", and it too used Spanish methods.

I don't know a lot about "off the back" construction, and it seems like the hard way to me. The Peone technique I use is integral to the my method, and is also so important to how I achieve my results that I simply could not abandon it.
Interesting...

After surveying many AGF build threads, I have always found that two divergent work methods existing fascinating. There are far more "off the back" luthiers than "off the top" luthiers (roughly 2/3-3/4 of builds are "off the back"). My two current custom builds that I have created threads on are both coincidently "off the top" builds.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.