View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post
Might be a silly question. What is the best way to check if the neck angle is right or not?
Some more info for you. From Frank Ford's site;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...neckangle.html

and from the William Cumpiano article I linked to above;

"With the straightedge thus placed on the frets, its far end should just "tickle" the top of the bridge on a well settled-in, well-used guitar. On a brand-new guitar that has yet to settle in (or on a 12-string guitar, which is expected to always settle considerably under tension) the straightedge should clear the bridge by not over 1/16-inch (1.5mm). There is an exception: on new 6- and 12-string guitars which are intended to carry medium gauge strings exclusively, the straightedge should clear the bridge by 3/32" (2.5 mm). On a classic guitar, the straightedge should not clear the bridge, but rather should touch the front of the bridge about 1/16-inch BELOW the top edge of the front lip, since lower tension and higher average actions are the norm on classicals.

Usually on a guitar with a workable, rather than ideal neck angle, the straightedge will just bump into the bridge a hair below the top edge. In that case (following the guidelines indicated above) a gentle recountouring of the bridge will make everything shine--on the cheap. "

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,