View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
I looked up Naphta it seems to be a chemical not a brand? Is that the specific name of something I can buy at a guitar store or do I go to Home Depot or a hard were store? Also will it remove the finish? That is not the intent. Thanks for your response.
A brand name you can look for is "Ronsonol". I've bought mine several places....usually someplace that sells cigarettes, pipe cleaners, etc. might be as easy as going to a nearby convenience store or mini-market. Hardware store might not have it, or it might, and I wouldn't think Home Depot would be the most likely place either. It doesn't remove or damage the finish (though I wouldn't use it on a matte finish). If the finish is already damaged, it might remove gunk that is covering the damage. It sounds like your finsih is still in tact, but since I haven't inspected the guitar, I can't say for certain.

I used Ronsonol to clean up an old, neglected 1970 D 18...it just cut through grime and sticky stuff, and enabled me to get to what remained of the original finish. Unfortunately, the Martin had been stored with an old vinyl strap for a couple of decades, and the vinyl interacted with the finish and had effectively removed the finsih in some areas in the back. It was obvious that the finsih was damaged before I started: it was liquid-y and gooey in those spots, and would smear around when I touched it...the guitar wasn't playable in that condition. Now, most of the guitar has its original shine, and the gooey parts are now clean, exposed wood...not the best, but playable.