View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
The gap in quality between American made Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc. guitars and their overseas copies/equivalents has shrunk dramatically over the years.

I own a Samick Greg Bennett Royale RL2 semi made in Indonesia and you wouldn't believe the build quality and even the pickups (Duncan designed) compared to a much higher priced instrument like a Gibson.

This is true or at least my observation. Having as a similar SE and USA PRS at same time I totally saw that you get something but have diminished returns as you spend. My Squire Strat after some work was pretty darn good. An associate’s branded as Samick electric did not have a specific vibe or personality like handling a Telecaster or Les Paul but it had good intonation.

What might not make it obvious is the particular overseas copy/equivalent as you put it. I’m a mile from a remodeled showcase sort of Guitar Center so better than average inventory. They will have lots of Epiphone and that seems to need setup or attention the PRS SE doesn’t need. The cheapest level Squire I’ll see there or at COSTCO is not in that league of pretty nice imported stuff.

This is all a bit like bicycles that I love. Really good stuff is available at decent prices. At the high end you have diminishing returns but marvelous stuff. Some amazement if only looking and touching it.