View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
The sooner people start looking at a neck as if it were a waistline, the better.

1 & 3/4" is a linear spec of one thing: Nut width. Period.

It doesn't take into consideration the string spacing, how the fret ends have been finished (which can ABSOLUTELY affect possible string spacing adjustment), the circumference of the neck, the profile of that circumference, the depth from the fret tops to the back of the neck, neck width at 12th fret, etc, etc.

If you're having trouble with your plucking hand, you can easily widen the string spacing by regrinding the bridge top, and reslotting, but of course the prior considerations have to be met.

Also: Do you sit or stand when you play? That will affect the centerline of how the neck meets your fretting hand.

Oh, and as far as John's instrument go, they start around 25K, but you can find plenty of builders who build to spec for a whole lot less.

HE
I measured it and it's closer to 1 11/16th. I did try putting on a 1 3/4 nut with a wider string spacing but the high and low E's were too close to the edge. Fiddling with the bridge top would be too risky for me. Perhaps a more skilled luthier could take a look.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube