View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 PM

You guys are FREA-KING AMAZING! Especially JonPR for really going above and beyond what I expected. It's awesome that I can just go online and ask for help and people I've never met will take the time out of their day to help me with no benefit to be gained. Freaking... awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Let's hope you remain a Metallica fan for the rest of your life too...

Anyway...
1. The nerd in me definitely wants the 8 under the clef. As a guitarist, I like that it signifies the music is for guitar. Now, does it have to be literally attached like in your image or can it hover below like AndreF's image?

6. I did mean to put the staccato in that bar. Unless I am mistaken as to how it should be notated, the duration of that note is short. I thought it was supposed to be there. Also, would you mind explaining why some of your staccato dots aren't centered? What exactly does it mean?

7. "Repeat and Fade" does look nicer than "4x."

8. As for the permanency of the tattoo and possible regret down the road, my precondition to getting a tattoo is that it be meaningful enough that I never regret it and this meets that criteria. Honestly, I'm not even a Metallica fan anymore. And while I do like the song, it's not my appreciation for the song that prompts me get it tattooed permanently on my body (although "permanent" is debatable considering laser removal. While expensive and painful, it IS an option. Though in all seriousness, I know having a tattoo won't actually have a material impact on my life. They are much more acceptable nowadays and the stigma less significant).

My reason for getting the tattoo is because I learned to play this as a teenager and my mom always enjoyed listening to it, despite not being a Metallica fan. She would actually request I play it for her from time to time. She would always tell me she wanted me to play it at her funeral for everyone. But because I get stage fright and choke pretty easily when I play for people and considering the emotional ramifications of losing your mom, I told her I wouldn't do it... and I didn't. So, I thought it apropos to get the outro tattooed instead. It's a tattoo I'll never regret. Trust me, I've been thinking about this since she died 4 years ago and I've finally decided there aren't really any compelling reasons not to do it. I know... it's permanent. I know... there's a stigma, but neither of these really matter. They won't meaningfully impact my life. Plus, it's not a skull with a cobra wrapped around it. It's tasteful. (I also plan to get it touched up as often as necessary as I hate the way faded, green tattoos look). Also, I don't intend to tell anyone but family what the song is, so I don't actually want anyone to recognize it. That's just for me.

In your notation, what does the 3 above the notes in the 4th bar signify? Also, in that same bar, I'm realizing, shouldn't that third chord be staccato as well? So, both examples for the 4th bar are acceptable and neither is the "right" one? I can pick either?

As for cutting the 1st and last bars and changing the repeat symbols, would doing it the other way be incorrect? The problem with removing bars is I actually need it to be long as it's going on the inside of my arm so I'd like it run almost the entire length of it. Would that still be acceptable?

Also, the B and C in bar 3 are correct. He plays that open B a few times where it almost doesn't seem to belong. I actually think that's one of the revisions I need to make. I think I left one or two out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
READ THIS (before you get your tattoo): These examples are all "improperly" scored for guitar. Sorry everyone. The notes may be accurate, but the formatting of the music is not correct...
So, if I had the correct stem on the bass notes to indicate the notes' duration, would everything else be left the same as JonRP notated? Actually, they would be whole notes, right? So they wouldn't have stems but be hollow instead?