View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think Maui 5 will be awesome for you. The Reach and FreePlay have preamp issues to solve. I solved them for my FreePlay, so this was an easy way to add 2 extra mics without being a mixer. Enjoy that Maui!!

The 10 inch sub offer in my JBL was too much for small rooms because it had no individual sub control. The sub in the Maui is only an 8 inch and has some control if I recall.
Very good point Dave... about the sub control. This indeed is included on the Maui 5. I remember reading this post and wanted to comment.

I will preface this to say, I was a in a full band up until 2 or so years ago. We had a sound guy on the payroll (he actually made more than we did .. LOL). So I never had to "dink" around with my sound.

But now that I'm 'going' solo .. It has been a learning experience.

OK.. Getting back to the Maui 5.

I cannot say enough good things about this system. Is it for everyone? Not a chance. BUT anyone looking for a small-med sized acoustic performance system.... DO yourself a favor and check one out.

To be honest, I love the sound of my acoustic and voice amplified. Even at home rehearsing daily. But it has been a challenge to find a "happy" medium of great and balanced sound ... Plus not being to loud, shrill or too much to kill my ears.

This little M5 is what I've been looking for and you know the most important knob on this thing?? Yep... The Sub-Woofer control. This is what makes the system not over powering in a small room.. I have it set up in a 25 x 20 ft room ...I am about 8 feet away. I have it situated just right.... The sound feels like it "surrounds" me.

I have yet to use it live... But from what I can see it should be fine for the basic bar/restaurant situations.

I got the M5 for a little over $500 bucks by using a 15% coupon.. So not a ton of scratch for a really nice sounding guitar amp/ PA. Very usable for my home studio .. which is where I play most of the time!

I'm on the look out for a used TC Helicon Play Acoustic... Since the M5 has no effects. I def would like to have some effects and more control on my (vox and guitar) inputs.