View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 09:23 AM

Default **New idea** Wiring of a dual active pickup system Anthem and M80

Hey guys
I am planning on doing something very similar to @alexcinca. My aim is to combine the Anthem (for the natural sound part) with an M80Mag (to run through effect chain).
Here is the wiring diagram I came up with. It includes a TRRS Switching Jack from Fishman which should allow me to output 2 channels plus power switching for the Anthem.

My thoughts behind this are:
- Using a TRS cable I can run both together with a 2-Ch amp.
- If playing on a very noisy stage, I can use the M80 in active mode without the Anthem.
- I can just plug in a TS cable if I only wanna use the Anthem or if I'm running a minimalistic setup.
- If I happen to completely run out of battery, I'd still have M80 passive avaliable.
- I know one of either pickups alone would yield a perfectly fine sound. I wanna do this primarily for the purpose of creating something cool and learning new skills!

Open questions from my side:
- I guess If I plug in a TS cable, the M80 Hot and Ground would kinda short-circuit and drain the little battery in minutes or even burn the device..? I'd have to remove the battery or quickly unplug the 3.5mm cable from the M80 before plugging in a TS Cable to avoid this, right?
- I regards to potential cross talk issues: Definitely not a master of impedance, but the two output impedances seem to be quite similar (Anthem 650 Ohm, M80 (active mode) 1.5kOhm). In combination with twisted quality cables, what are the odds of still running into issues?

Thinking even further..
- My ultimate goal would be to have one battery pack that supplies the needed voltage/current to both pickups and is chargeable through a USB port or so. Wondering if that's technically even possible and how much of a hustle that would be to build such a circuitry .

Thanks heaps in advance for thinking through this with me!

Img 1 Wiring diagram:

Img 2 Optional battery pack idea: