View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM

As the former owner of a late-70's Music Man 410-65 and mid-80's Peavey Bandit 65 I'll +1 you on both amps - that Bandit sounded good with anything, from a first-run Gibson '61 SG Reissue to a first-generation Ovation Custom Balladeer (only amp that ever made that guitar sound acoustic). BTW, if you're into collecting undervalued/sleeper amps check out some of the pre-1985 (the independent two-channel orange/gray-stripe versions) Randall RG/RB combos - the 2x12"/1x15" models make great archtop amps (I've got a gray-stripe RB-120 that does double-duty for quasi-jazz/early blues and old-school R&R/R&B bass), and I've seen clean ones selling in the $175-250 range; keep in mind that these were intended as direct competition to Fender's silverface lineup as well as Leo's own (then-)upstart Music Man (and comparably priced in their day), so if your taste runs to the aforementioned "big clean" tones and/or you need lots of trouble-free headroom and power (these babies are built like tanks both electronically and structurally - and weigh about as much as their '70s tube counterparts ) one - or more - of these would make a worthwhile addition to your arsenal...

BTW, if you want the ultimate old-school Randall suss out an RG-300 2x12"/1x15" combo: Marshall Major-style power in a Twin/Vibrosonic Reverb-size cabinet, relatively rare (considered overkill even in its day) but arguably the only way to go if you needed 'verb and trem in a compact stadium-worthy package, and you could probably score one now for well under $500 in decent shape...