View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Thanks Bob. That really! helped. I've set myself a goal of learning to solo / improv after 5+ years of playing fingerpicking rhythm. Spent quite a bit of time learning the major scale and when I started doing improv along to backing tracks, I was underwhelmed by what I played. My wife said it sounded good (and she's usually my harshest critic), but my heart was let down by it.

It's getting better yet still nothing all that great. I've been planning to do some of what you said, learning existing solos so I have more arrows in my quiver so to speak.

Do you have other material / videos / recommendations beyond what's in that "Art of soloing"?
Thanks for you kindness. To be honest, I've been too busy playing to further expand on it. One of the bands I studied when I was learning soloing was the Allman Brothers. Two albums stand out: Beginnings, a repackaging of their first two albums, and Live at Filmore East. As a studio ablum Beginnings featured shorter, more concise solos. Live at Filmore East was live and featured the longer solos that helped me learn to stretch out.

The same was true with Joe Walsh's work with the James Gang. Rides Again and Thirds showed off Joe's habit of stepping into a song and absolutely taking it over with his short solo. When they recorded Live at Carnegie Hall, Joe stretched out and played some longer solos. After he left the James Gang, The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get and So What? were jammed with really good solos.

The Doobie Brothers in the time range from 1972 to 1977 were great to study for their short, concise solos.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)