View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Sorry I'm late to the game here.
This is a great thread with lots of useful discussion. Tom2 has offered some useful insights and there isn't much I can argue with what he says about bridge placement. I agree it can be beneficial tonally to move the bridge further back on the body but for most of our customers the feeling is that they prefer the extra access of the 14 fret placement. Also it must be noted that on our X20 the 12 fret placement most notably enhances the bass which already is very strong and some may find the bass starts to over power the trebles.
As for the discussion on scale length I really prefer 650mm as it offers better tension and in return a cleaner and lower action is possible.
The great thing about all this is that there really is no right and wrong, its a matter of finding the combination of features that suit your needs best and for this reason we actually build every Nylon as a custom guitar so we can cater for every possible taste. We can even make a deeper cutaway on a 12 fret if that is preferred.
We have been making more and more nylon guitars recently and today we just completed our first Nylon Harp guitar. Evan has been a strong advocate for carbon Nylon guitars and Im glad I listened to him all those years ago. I think Evan has the second Nylon guitar I ever made. We have come a long way since then.
Alistair