View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
As well as CTS, a narrowing of the foraminal space where the nerve passes from the spinal cord through the vertebra and/or degenerative disks at vertebra C6or7 puts pressure on the nerve which can result in a loss of arm/hand strength. It may or may not be accompanied by pain… Often comes along with being 50+ and the wear and tear that got you there. MRI and good Doc are needed to pin it down.
Thank you Sage, it's great to hear this !
I have this problem which started recently along with bad upper back muscle spasm pain (coincidentally I think). scared the hell out of me (stroke? Tumor? Etc)

I went for X-rays and one of the diagnoses was a problem with forminal space between C5/6 and C6/7.

I haven't seen to a surgeon yet and it seems an MRI is required for full diagnosis, but have had physio and Biokinetics and started stretching. The strength is mostly back in my hand but not the dexterity, but I have been reassured that permanent nerve damage is very unlikely.

I've been advised to use clothes pegs with elastic bands for extra resistance to strengthen the fingers. Guitar is bad because of the wrist angle, it seems :-(

Anyway, my main reason for posting this was to reassure others who may get the same fright as me :-)

Also to reiterate...stretch frequently and pay careful attention to ergonomics when working on computers, etc.