Thread: Modelers
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 05:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Thanks, Bob. I want you to know that I value your input and have studied everything you've ever written on this subject, both here and on your personal website.
Thank you for your kindness.
Quote:
In spite of its reputation for being fairly easy to use, I didn't buy Line 6 for a couple of reasons. First, I could never land on the specific product that fit my needs. The company has done an excellent job of layering their products in a way that makes you wish you had bought the next product higher up the chain. I researched their line up for months and could never land on the same product twice.
I understand. I gave up and went to the top with the Helix Floor. It is heavy and not necessarily for everyone.
Quote:
Second, my general sense is that Line 6 users tend to use tones that are more heavily processed than mine. I'm a very old school guy, and I never used a board full of pedals. I stay as close to basic amp sounds as I can. I don't use a vintage amp, because they are now overwhelmingly expensive, and modeling is the very clearly the future. I want to figure it out.
I understand. I hear a lot of modelers' patches and yes, they are often quite processed. By contrast, my patches, which I built from the ground up, are really basic, in fact, they resemble the analog rigs I use with a Fender Deluxe, a Fender Princeton, and a Marshall 1987 Plexi amp as the models. But I do realize that I am an outlier.
Quote:
Third, the guys whose tones I admire tend to recommend Fractal. Chief among those is Jeff McErlain in whose blues course I'm currently enrolled. The tones are there to be had.

I've used a lot of complicated equipment in my life. I learned how to use an ancient Siemens electron microscope on my own by consulting service manuals poorly translated from German. I built a whole laboratory from discarded equipment scattered around in the NIH warehouse. So I'm confident I'll figure this thing out.
You know, following someone who has success is a great starting point. I'm sure you'll do fine, too. You've got the right kind of mind for it.

All the best!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)