View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
another idea besides the uke could be to go with a lap style/dobro that uses open tuning and that metal slide thing to fret the strings.

i believe some guitars can be converted to lapstyle by replacing the nut with a taller one.

good luck!
I remember when I was a young boy, my father had a guitar and on the nut by the tuning keys he placed a metal u-shaped piece over the nut and he played what he called Hawaiian Guitar. He use a metal slide bar to slide over the strings and finger picks on right hand fingers. Is that the same thing or just sort of like it?

I am not that familiar with a dobro. Can one play melodies as one does when finger picking or is the dobro more of an instrument to accompany a lead player?

At present time I am trying to learn DADGAD which helps with the sore thumb some. I recently tuned my classical guitar into "Drop 3" Guitar Tuning. Sometimes I place a capo on the 3rd fret so as to be back in standard tuning but either with or without the capo this tuning is sort of sore thumb friendly.

Is it possible to use a 12 string as a lap/dobro? I recently got one and have tried it only once. I could not use my thumb for two weeks after. OUCH. However, I did get it for free from a friend so I cannot complain.

I am still going in circles and looking for magic answers, LOL. All comments and help are welcome and I certainly appreciate those who have answered so far.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical