View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Game over, you're done, sleepless nights await you!

OK, maybe not all that, but I know exactly what you mean. Once I played an RT, from the very fiirst chord (to the very last note trying to justify the financies to take it home) I found it to be a whole different level of instrument. No knock on my Taylors, as I really love those, but RT really does sound like the luthier-made guitar that it is. Opinions on RT vary, to be sure, but I am sold on them (just can't afford to get another one ).

Edward
One thing I've wondered about 'Taylor' and the oddly pompous 'R.Taylor' (probably his mother used to call him 'Robert' when he left his tools all over the living room floor ...) division is that in my mind, the presence of one diminishes the credibility of the other. By this I mean that when someone thinks of a quality luthier, are they likely to turn to a maker whose claim to fame is uniform factory models? And for someone looking for a top quality factory model, will they feel that a common-old 'Taylor', whose maker is 'Bob' in his overalls on the shop floor, is now the poor relation of the splendiferous 'R. Taylor', whose maker is now a beatified version of himself bearing the loftier title of 'Robert' and who makes a far better guitar than poor old common 'Bob'?

But they clearly know what they're doing. It does surprise me though that they can pull this one off.