View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Yamaha LL6 vs. LL16 vs. other suggestions

I was looking at maybe getting either the LL6 or LL16, but I was just wondering - is there really a noticeable difference in sound between the two (even though one has laminate back and sides)? Also, would the LL6 be a lot more stable with humidity and weather changes, or is the LL16 pretty stable as is for a rosewood guitar?

Also, I'm also only looking at these because they're priced well, sound great as far as Youtube can tell me, have a 25.5" scale length, a solid spruce top (engelmann too!), and a 1.75" nut width. I'm a mahogany lover, though, so if anyone can think of something in this price range with those specs and mahogany back and sides (dreadnoughts and OM's only please), I would love to have a few more suggestions.

Also, about rosewood - I've heard it's "slower" than mahogany. I like throwing in fast licks whenever appropriate, and I do play a little gypsy jazz occasionally, so would the "slowness" in attack and decay really be that noticeable? I'm not really a "deep, slow, overtone-rich fingerstyle" kinda guy, so if the notes are gonna sound like they're crashing into each other, that's no good.

Thanks.