View Single Post
Old 05-29-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Need Electric Guitar Advice - I wanna rock...

Hey all,

over the last few (4-5) years I've taken big steps toward acoustic music and have spent a lot of time and money "acoustically". Now I'm wanting to get back into the electric guitar side of things (which got me into guitar initially). I just need some advice as to what to look at for a new electric in terms of value and quality. I'm going to be gigging with a band that does some stuff in some pretty good venues (nothing big, mostly bars, clubs, that sorta thing). I am looking to get a new guitar and a new amp.

For the guitar I like humbuckers but also am intrigued by the strat and its tonal potential so I was thinking maybe a fat strat. I love rock so I was also thinking a Gibson SG of some sort. I have an RG series Ibanez that does a good job but it gives me fits sometimes so I want to replace it. Something sturdy, something that can rock, and something with good value. What other guitars and makers should I look at. I've never been a fan of acoustic guitar buying via guitar center but feel pretty comfortable when it comes to electrics. Is that a reasonable opinion on GC?

For the Amp, I want something that will give me enough that I'll never need more power. Don't care about transportation. I want to be able to push it and have it push back. I don't want to be limited tonally. When I was younger I loved the idea of a Peavey 5150. Whats the word on them? I would love as anyone would a Marshall Stack. A stack in general would be cool. I want tube power. Please help me. Direct me where to look and what to look at. Pluses and minuses to stacks, combos, etc.

I really value the opinions I get and read on this board. Please lend a hand and help me in my quest to rediscover "rocking out". Thanks all - Andy