Thread: CA Cargo?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
no offense meant to anyone...

what I'm asking is how it works as a replacement/substitute for a full size normal scale length guitar...

I've played one only once and was impressed by the bass response and the volume but didn't play it enough to be able to have a real answer to those questions

I don't think so. I was excited when I got mine, then liked it less and less as I played it. I got it as an upgrade to my Baby Taylor, but ended up preferring my Baby T. I've since set my Cargo adrift on the winds of GAS.

From playing mine extensively and trying out a number of others, I found the following to be largely true. Cargos have a compressed, very crisp sound. They are a bit 'fawpy' due to the short scale length. On the one I owned and several other I tried, the high strings tended to buzz out against the frets a bit. There is not truss rod so setups are a bit more hit-or-miss.

Like any guitar, if you can sift through a number of Cargos, you'll probably find a good one that has a minimum of these issues. However, I believe you'll have to do a fair amount of sifting.

BTW, the first one I received was sent back as deffective because the action was rediculously low. So I wonder a bit about their QC.

So, in short, they are a sacrifice over a regular guitar. If you want a travel size guitar with good projection that is immune to the elements, then they may be a good choice for you.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually