View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverZ View Post
Alright as I mentioned late last night, or possibly very early this morning, I am in for 5 weeks, 1 hour per day. I'm starting the count from today 5 June, which will puts the 5 week mark at 11 July.

I'm receptive to any guidance regarding the structure of the hour. I have a sales receipt for the 1st guitar that I purchased, and it's dated 8 August 2000. Which means I should probably be a heck of a lot better than I am. I've played a lot of hours, but I've rarely strung together more than 10 minutes of purposeful focused practice in all that time. I'm sure I've been averaging close to an hour a day lately, especially given the purchase of an HD-28 a couple of months ago. So, I don't mind the time... I love it actually, but I'd like to make it count in terms of progress.

Until I have more time to think about it or until someone weighs in with a suggestion or two about structuring the time, I'm planning to spend 20 minutes on technique & theory, 20 minutes working on Layla, and another 20 for misc./fun.

My plan isn't particularly detailed, but I'll work on it. I'm glad to be on board starting... now.
I'm probably no one to give practice advice but here is what I'm doing: I try to dedicate 2 hours a night, 1.5 hours reviewing/playing my repertoire (about 42 songs, etudes), 0.5 hours working on new material (which can be playing through the new piece, working on specific sections, watching the video, memorizing, reviewing the tab. It all depends on where I'm at in the piece). I'm trying to combine theory with the repertoire, i.e. thinking about what chord I'm playing off while playing, is that a 7th chord?, etc. I don't really practice scales. YMMV.