View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM

I wrung out the Marshall and the Acoustasonic when I bought my Taylor T5 - I'd been playing a Gibson 335 through a Peavey Bandit, but the Peavey just killed the Taylor. The Fender was the first one I tried, and it was enough to tempt me to throw the Bandit to the wolves; the sound was definitely better through the acoustic amp, but I felt the T5 had more potential for a smooth, silky ballad than the Fender could process.
Then I tried out a Marshall AS50D - it seemed to be able to produce anything the Fender could, with at least as much power. But the Marshall has a mellow side, when you want it, that I was not able to even approach with the Fender. I liked the controls and other features; it seemed to have everything I needed, and not a lot of stuff I'd never use. The Taylor T5 has a wide range of capability, and I felt the Marshall lets me use the guitar to it's full potential. After a couple years of playing it now, I'm still completely satisfied.
In fact, I like to leave it hooked up at home, and began searching Ebay ... I now have an AS100 as well, which I like even better!
To be fair, though, if I was playing an acoustic/electric guitar instead of the T5, I might choose the crisper tonal nature of the Fender.