View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynautguitar View Post
Hello! I've been lurking the forums for a few days now and I figured I might as well just ask straight up for any advice for my situation. So I've been looking for a good microphone (my budget is around $180 to $200) to record acoustic fingerstyle with (my playstyle is mostly derived from Sungha Jung/Tommy Emmanuel but I've been trying to learn/record percussive fingerstyle to branch out). I already have an audio interface to start with (M Audio M Track Duo) and I'm currently using a Boya BM-1 Lavelier mic to record (placing it just below the soundhole). Though one big issue I'm seeing (from the threads I've scoured) is that my room is untreated and I have a lot of background noise because of the fact that I live in a dorm. I'm curious if with my budget I can see a difference in sound quality

Aside from this, I would like to ask for advice on mixing? What's a good process/workflow and what kind of plugins work best for this type of playing? My workflow at the moment is as follows:

1. Initial compressor to fix uneven sounds
2. Pass of EQ
3. Applying effects (Reverb/Delay/Etc.)

What kind of effects is/are recommended to help make a good recording sound better? And are there any general rules of thumb in applying EQ/Compression?

I apologize for the somewhat unorganized questions, and I hope and appreciate any advice regarding this. Thank you!
We've got a current topic going on the new Zoom R4 portable HERE.

Combine with a simple pair of small diaphragm condenser mics (as used HERE) and a good stand and you'll be able to record anywhere you like. A simple kit like that would take you a LONG way toward learning what you want to know.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-27-2023 at 07:41 PM.