View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Keep in mind the relationship of a change in string height at the saddle being twice the change at the 12th fret.
Thanks for reasserting that. Actually, I'm well aware of the relationship and am glad it's not the other way around.

Quote:
For measuring string height at the 12th fret, I use a ruler marked in 1/32" [...] Others use calipers. Doing so certainly works but [...] in my opinion and experience, it is an unnecessary level of accuracy for saddle height.

The "sand a bit", restring, "sand a bit more"... isn't really necessary once one correlates string heights with playability and "feel".
I agree that it really is all about "the feel", and currently I feel like the strings need to be a bit lower, BUT...I have no experience in making these adjustments, so I don't know whether I can get the feel I want and still avoid buzzing. The point of this thread.

Quote:

THE MOTHER LOAD

The "test" that I use for strings being as low as possible: For a particular player and their "style", the strings should just begin to buzz when played just harder than they would normally play. [...] pluck them just harder than the maximum a player is going to. If they just begin to buzz, that's as low as it's going to go with the current fret leveling and settings. This works for open strings (i.e. nut height) and fretted strings: check each fret, each string.
I'll be testing and thinking about this a lot. Thanks for such useful, helpful insights!