View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_one View Post
That's my strategy too. I have the airline credit card which allows me to board early enough to get my hard case into the overhead bin.

The last four years I have brought a full sized guitar on a service trip (with four flights/legs) and at worst have had to gate check it. The last two years I've been able to get it on the plane every time.

However, some planes have better bins that others. Most 737 style planes (and low end Airbus 319-321) have bins that can accept the guitar case. They have a space that stretches across multiple rows.. I've found that 767 and 787 planes have bins that are divided individually in each row. On those planes you have to hope you can get it in the front closet on the plane. My friend was able to get a jr. sized fender guitar (3/4 size guitar) in a gig back in a 787 bin. But I don't know the size of parlor or GS mini guitars to know if they would fit as well.
When you "gate checked" it, was it returned at the destination gate, like, say, a baby stroller, or was it put into the main baggage stream like a gate-checked suitcase, that pops out at the baggage carousel?