View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Thank you for this, and for the regular reminders on the forum about some of the greatest talent we've ever had.

We hosted Michael for a concert in Whitefish, MT back in the early 1990s, when we were running a concert series there.

Michael was a joy to have with us, and it was a more-than-memorable concert, for sure.

One of the best...
Larry, forgive my tardiness in getting back to you on this. I read it a few days ago with a great deal of joy. Cause for the joy? So few know about Michael, it's nice to see a fellow traveler. I worship only a very few songs, but "The Dutchman" is certainly near the top of that list.

The best version I've ever heard of this song is Michael's own live version, performed at the memorial concert for Steve Goodman after his death in Sept '84. Everyone who was anyone was there -- Arlo, Prine, Bonnie Raitt, Michael, Bromberg, Dirt Band, Jethro, John Hartford. Michael did "The Dutchman" at the very end, and it was like this sad prayer celebrating Steve's talent and impact on everyone. There's no video recording of the event that I know of, but here's the audio of Michael's stunning performance:

Here's a link to this wonderful live CD. A lot of hilarious stories about Stevie Goodman:

https://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Steve.../dp/B000000DLZ

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-18-2017 at 12:15 PM.