Thread: Sexauer/'15
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sexauer/'15

As 2/5/1 said, it is time to start a new thread!

I started 10 guitars in 2014, just .9 guitars less than my statistical average yearly output, as calculated a couple of years ago. It'll be about year before we see how this year goes (sorry), but I do feel quite optimistic at the moment. Last year was looking like a dog right up to the last 6 weeks or so, and then things really picked up. Part of it was the Founder's Choice award, I imagine, but not all of it. Things just got generally warmer, you might say the award was a sign of this more than the cause of it. Hard to know, really. Usually, when things seem to be working, you just don't rock the boat.

Today I started 2 guitars, my first of the new year. One is commissioned, the other is spec and more or less targeted toward Memphis. The spec one will be the Mini-D I threatened to make a few weeks ago when I suddenly made yet another L-00 instead. That's 4 consecutive L-00 guitars! The latest is done and in the curing stage of finish. I'll expect to hear it in about two weeks.

The Mini-D is at the stage of joined top, I'm not absolutely sure of anything else about it, though I am imagining it as Brazilian Rosewood. I have more BRW than I am likely to use in the time I have left at the bench, and it is What-Is-What-Am in the tonewood department, so I might as well use it. Probably 13 frets because it just works so well. Probably Martinesque.

The commissioned guitar is something more unusual for me . . . or anyone else. It will also be Martinesque in a way, which is to say conservative in appearance in the Martin way, but also a bit of a reach as it will have a carved back in Big Leaf Maple. It will be a slothead cutaway. I have joined the top (Martin Guhl AAA German spruce) and here it is: