View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I don't wanna get too far off the track here but I'd submit if you have a hardware compressor that has sufficient enough sonic character and or any other sonic trait that software can't provide you can always "insert" it. I think most all DAW's these days have a fairly latency controlled insert path. I have a Charter Oak compressor (hardware) that behaves and sounds like no other compressor I've ever encountered. Probably my single most vital audio tool I have. Admittedly you have limited channels as opposed to virtually endless software instantiations but for acoustic guitar I've never heard a better compressor!
Totally agree, my comment was really about workflow, not hardware vs software. I should have been more clear. I just assumed Martin was intending to compress on the way in (which it sounds like he is). If your setup has support for hardware inserts, adding some real iron to the tool set is great. I do my Bricasti that way, of course, and have thought about adding some other hardware boxes.

My intended advice here was not to lock yourself in by recording compressed to start with - save it for mix-down, especially when you're a 1-man performer/engineer, and can't sit back in the control room listening to the incoming sound. I don't want to finally get that one perfect take, only to discover I messed up the settings and over-compressed. I used to have a STC-8, and actually managed to do that to myself a few times. But using something like the Carter Oak on mix-down sounds great, that's one that's been tempting :-)