View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Rick Turner had an acoustic made from giant sequoia. I was really interested in which grove it came from since we live fairly close to a few, but he wasn't sure. Drat.
I had dated a woman who lived in Ft. Bragg that had 4 acres that many huge living Redwood trees as well as some monster stumps in various stages of decay. While searching around one day I was able to find two huge stump rounds that had been cut at about 2" thick. These rounds were at about a 6 to 7 ft. diameter, quite huge, both had severe rot and decay because they had been siting there cut for gosh knows how long, my estimate was at least 100 years. At any rate I was able to take a chain saw to them and cut out 2 substantial chunks of usable material and have since made one guitar and have enough to do one more plus lots of scrap for inlay or what not. The material dried for several year prior to using.

So anyway here is a pic of the guitar I made. The material was so dense that I opted to use the stump for the back and then used some old growth perfectly quartered stuff for the top, with the white edge growth laid out in the center. I have learned to not do this as I have come to find that the white parts of the redwood have high damping and helps kinda kill the tone as it sits in the most dramatic impact zone on the top, the center. But it's ok, certainly not my best sounding guitar.

never bothered to take nice photos so the angles of the shots are kinda obtuse

it has both an arched back and top as all my instruments do

as always, cat not included in price