View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM

With my process the uniformity in thickness could be a problem depending on what tolerances is acceptable. I run the plates through a drum sander till it's just about where I want it. Then I use a hand plane to smooth off one side, the side that the bracing gets glued too. The reason I do that is, without getting too far into it - long story short, a planed surface is better than a sanded one. IMHO opinion of course. I don't plane the outside face because I always use sand paper to finish the top anyway. I can't ever seem to finish soft wood with a scraper like I can with backs and sides.

But anyway then that allows me to take my first deflection measurement and run it through the drum sander till I get what I want. So the hand planed face might be a bit thicker in the middle or to one side but it would be very small.

I suppose I could take 3 measurements with my dial calipers along each side and take an average.

Oh and also I have been doing this with the rosette installed so I imagine I'd have to change that process as well since that might throw the weight off.