View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
And the McIlroy crossover is likely derived from one of his smaller steel-string bodies. Heavily Lowden-influenced, the sound should be quite similar to Lowden’s SxxJ models. This is certainly the case with the steel-string models.
That wouldn't surprise me if there's anything like an Irish heritage in guitars. (And if that's in any way comparable to the one in whisky it will be a safe bet that it's not for me )
That said, being Lowden influenced doesn't mean that the build cannot be better suited for nylon string playing - the fact that they don't come with a pickup by default suggests that even.

Quote:
It’s interesting you’ve heard poor reports of the Lowden Jazz models. ... The only reason I no longer have one is my nylon string playing is mainly classical repertoire and that simply sounds better on a lighter, more responsive instrument.
It's more the opposite: the reports I got were confirmation of my own impression about them, based on listening to about every available recording on YT. They're probably perfect for people who want a nylon-version of the kind of sound they're used to with their kind of playing (but there's nothing particularly jazzy about them and I find it rather telling that someone like Steve Cooney plays Irish music on a Dowina hybrid).
Personally have always been first and foremost a non-steel-string player with somewhat of a long-standing prejudice against traditional classical guitars that I've seen confirmed when I started playing myself.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)