View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matters View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some information on getting a music degree. I'm currently applying for the Music Education major at The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. I'm in my 30's and owned a music lesson studio where a I taught guitar for roughly 7 years. I love teaching but also want to pursue performance aspects of music as well.

Anyone have tips for the initial audition? Things you wish someone had told them before pursuing either a education or performance degree?

Feel free to give any information on careers, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Hi Matt
I earned a BA in Music Education - focused on Elementary and Secondary vocal and instrumental music with a focus on elementary Orff and Kodaly (took 5 years) with a minor focus (17 hours of additional classroom) in theory.

I actually auditioned to the main college I attended by tape (I was 600 miles away) and earned a 4 year scholarship which paid for one semester's tuition by playing and singing in band, orchestra, pep & marching bands, madrigal singers, and traveling on PR teams on the weekends.

If you plan to do anything with the degree to earn money after graduation I suggest majoring in education.

I had a friend who took nearly identical classes as I, who was in about as many groups as I, but he majored in performance. He also took the theory and music history courses, ear training etc. After college my hire-a-bility was 10 times his.

He discovered schools, churches, community choirs, students etc prefer to hire someone with an education degree who can perform rather than someone who majored in singing or playing a particular instrument who can teach. An education degree is looked at by prospective hirers different than a performance degree.

It's like having a degree in video production versus majoring in acting.

My skills in scoring, guitar, and music theory went a long way toward music outside the university while I was in school. I played in a lot of groups outside school, and helped a lot of folk acts I was part of figure out songs. I had plenty of chances to engage in performance outside school (you said you want to pursue performance too).

I also sang and/or played at tons of weddings, funerals, etc in the community, so I not only performed outside school, I earned spending money doing so.

Those are my suggestions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…