View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matters View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some information on getting a music degree. I'm currently applying for the Music Education major at The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. I'm in my 30's and owned a music lesson studio where a I taught guitar for roughly 7 years. I love teaching but also want to pursue performance aspects of music as well.

Anyone have tips for the initial audition? Things you wish someone had told them before pursuing either a education or performance degree?

Feel free to give any information on careers, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Years ago, when I thought I might go to music school, I auditioned at what is now the McNally school of music. I was then playing classical guitar at weddings as a sideline, so I played some of that repertoire. I arranged the tunes that I played, myself so there was an advantage. Arrangers don't take into account your finger lengths, skill level, etc. So if you do your own, you will always come out looking better. I suspect that a school would like that anyway because that means you already have some background on which they can build. There were a couple of teachers from the school that sat in a semi-circle and I sat facing them and just played my stuff. Since I was used to performing already, I wasn't nervous. I was accepted, but the tuition was more than I could afford, and I also could not afford to leave my job to go to school. So it ultimately didn't work out because I couldn't figure out a way to pull it off financially.

I would say from that experience, play what you know and don't be nervous.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...