Thread: First Open Mic
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 AM

Default First Open Mic

Well my first open mic is in the books and no one was maimed or killed. I never would have guessed that at age 60, with only one year of playing under my belt, and less time singing, I'd be playing in public and looking forward to doing it again. Truth be told, I really enjoyed playing and singing songs that I love in front of an appreciative audience. Setting the goal of performing in public got me to (a) get out of my comfort zone; (b) focus my practice sessions; and (c) explore new music I might not otherwise consider playing. I also benefitted from having my teacher singing and playing next to me. Sure, duetting with her, or just having her sing harmonies, was a bit of a crutch, but since she’s a pro and has a gorgeous voice the music was all the better for it. We performed Deportee (Plane Crash at Los Gatos), Cavalry (by Mandolin Orange), and Love Minus Zero. Playing in public was fun, having friends give me a huge hug was great, but the reason I'll continue doing it is to force myself to learn more songs, gain more confidence, and become a better guitarist and singer. I have a long road ahead of me – I wish I started playing 50 years ago. One for the bucket list.
2016 Collings D1 Sitka/Hog/Addy Bracing (“Bubba”)

Last edited by Old Poseur; 09-09-2017 at 07:05 AM.