View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interyeti View Post
Thank you for this suggestion. Here's a short video of me playing them:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROQkV-OwVmg

Hopefully this will convey my point.
Yes, that is what I thought and what I would do (sans flatpick) on natural harmonics. Using a flatpick versus bare fingers helps a little in purity and volume

The higher overtones are a little purer, louder, and reliable picking nearer the bridge with the right hand (which you are doing). Left hand touch points on some natural overtones a little purer done near the bridge though not really practical or useful to do it that way within an actual tune.

Have to say though that playing overtones as part of playing a tune is a fairly normal thing that I and many other people know about and use as appropriate for the music - nothing controversial about it. Very high (sixth and above) overtones though are rarely actually attractive or useful in a tune.

To add to your repertoire you might want to practice using artificial harmonics and cascading harmonics such as guitarists like Tommy Emmanuel and Lenny Breau. They have youtube lessons available - for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxfgSDMDCg

Happy playing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-07-2017 at 07:56 AM.