View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think that verse describing a sexual act in Cohen's Hallelujah is completely unnecessary, certainly classless and can't be excused under creative license.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Sorry for the rant. Music tends to get misappropriated by those who've lost their light and it gets to me at times.
Ranting is good for the soul . If you can't rant on an internet forum, where can you?
But it's still just your opinion, of course.

I don't have any opinion on these "politically incorrect" songs mentioned here, because I haven't heard them, and in any case I'm not American, so have a totally different attitude to patriotism, and possibly to "political correctness".
But - IMHO - Leonard Cohen is an artist who never put a foot (or word) wrong in his entire career. Not that I heard anyway. I was always astonished at how right his lyrics were, perfectly judged and crafted; including the whole of Hallelujah. I think the verse you mention is beautifully written, and (moreover) fits the music perfectly, the work of truly skilled poet and songwriter. Just my opinion, as I say.

You're welcome to say you think it's "completely unnecessary ... classless ... can't be excused ..."; not that it actually "is". Expressing opinion as fact is what gets people riled on forums like this... at least if the view is contentious.
(BTW, "classless" is a positive attribute over here in the UK, it means free of the outdated class system. You mean "lacks class". That's not a correction, just FYI.)