View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The Oktava MK-012 is a small diameter condenser that uses swappable capsules (cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni). They are Russian made and are also available with upgrades provided by Michael Joly (or others). They are available new but they've been around a long time so there are many on the used market (used they are in the $100-$150 range).

I had one for a while and used it for home recording and occasional playing out. Mine had only the cardioid capsule.

I've also owned 3 Zigma CHI small diameter condensers. They also have swappable capsules (sdc and ldc capsules). These are not nearly as common as the Oktava. New they go for $450-$550 and used for about 1/2 that. Front End Audio has 3 Zigma mics on sale for 25% off. I have/had the cardioid and omni sdc capsules as well as a 47 style ldc capsule.

I'm sure that there are lots of others, but I only have experience with these two.

If you're going to be using the mic for gigging, I assume it will need to be placed pretty close to the guitar. You may want to get a mic that has quite a bit of bass rolloff to compensate for the mics proximity effect, or else you could e/q to bring the bass down as required.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 01-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.