View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT View Post
Speaking of which...

Has anybody tried running small amps (like practice amps) through one of those "jump-start" battery backs you see in auto parts stores these days? Some even have a 110 v AC outlet so you don't have to use an inverter.

Here's an example, although Schumberger and Peak Power have their own models:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...5&blockType=G5

They range from about $60 for a 600 peak amp to about $90 for a 1000 peak amp, plus more if you want an air compressor ...

I'm wondering if they'd give about four or five hours with a practice amp, which is all I'd really need. And as Bobby1note mentioned, you can use it for lots of other things, like camping, re-charging electronic doodads ... and starting cars.
I believe (not 100% sure, I'd have to check), that most portable "booster battery packs" are not equipped with deep-cycle batteries which are designed for long-term continuous power-output, and capable of handling deep discharges, and repeated re-charging.

Booster-packs use "engine cranking" batteries, which are designed to put out strong bursts, over a short period of time.(30 seconds or so)

Best to go with a deep-cycle marine battery, which is specifically designed for this type of application.