View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Dents can be steamed out of BARE wood but the finish is a moisture barrier and water will not help the issue. They can be filled with either finish or CA but only by someone with experience.
Well, here's an expert's comments and I agree.

I put a very nasty and large dent into the top of my 42-year-old Martin D-35. I photographed the dent and emailed it to the guy who has done repairs on my guitars for over 30 years. I told him I did not expect perfection, but if he could make this look less horrible, I would appreciate it. So he gave it a try and basically filled in the dent with something, not sure what, that he tinted to match the yellowed color of the old top. He did such a good job that you can only see the dent from certain angles with the right light on it. Under those conditions, it lights the dent right up. But most of the time you can't see it. The cost was only about $15. He said it was a trick he learned in the furniture business many, many years ago.

I have other dents in the top that are not all that large and don't really look all that terrible. But this was a bad one, about 3/16" wide x 1/2" long and who knows how deep...

- Glenn