View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Default Cost to replace an entire fingerboard?

I am really afraid to even approach this question, but I have a moderately higher-end (3-5K range new) classical guitar which might (probably) need a new fingerboard. The issue is wrapage -- right down the center-line axis of the fingerboard; the frets are ever-so-slightly concave, making the guitar *feel* a bit harder to play. I had considered just having the fingerboard resurfaced to level and then re-fretted, but it also looks like the fingerboard might also be exterting some stress on the soundboard.

I am wondering if anyone on the forum has been down this road (having a fingerboard professionally replaced)? Given the initial cost of the instrument, I am a bit worried about having this done, and I may have to budget for this (or re-consider if it is even an expense I can absorb right now). The worst-case scenario would be to have it done at significant expense and THEN discover that doing so really impacted (negatively) the sound or finish of the instrument. Just trying to determine "where do I go from here?"

Thanks for any thoughts.