Thread: Various Martins
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Various Martins

Ok, here's a dilemma for you.

Background: I play guitar, but I don't have money... my dad has money but doesn't play guitar (yet).

I have a wonderful Taylor 810 that was my college graduation present, and I love it, but since then I found my "dream guitar", the Martin D-35 "Johnny Cash", I'm a huge JC fan, and love the all black guitar. But typically they cost a lot more than I can justify. Well, recently, one came up on Ebay "new in box", and much to my brother's and my puzzlement, my dad decided to buy it.. ending bid was around 57% below what I've seen them for at Guitar Center etc, so it seems that it was a bargain. He's got it now and through his limited experience with guitars (and my brother was visiting him last weekend so he could play it quite a bit), he Loves the guitar. My dad bought a 200 series Taylor last summer to learn with, but never got around to it... now he's saying the Martin is really inspiring him to want to learn, as it's much easier to play and better sounding than his Taylor (I was surprised at the easier to play comment as that's typically a Taylor strong point, but my brother confirms it's the best Martin he's ever played). Talking to my dad this morning, he was saying he might look for a regular D-35, as he loves everything about the guitar, except for the unique Johnny Cash parts (black finish for instance). So he wanted me to find him something that would be comparable in a standard Martin... in which case he'd probably give me the JC model, ergo, we'd both have our dream guitars, and everyone would be happy.

Problem is I just looked at the differences between the JC model and a regular D-35, and there's almost $2k of upgrades (according to Martin custom shop prices) in the JC model. The main 2 functional differences being scalloped bracing and Engelmann spruce top. The rest is mostly ornamentation it seems.
But the best I can figure there's no other standard production Martin with 1/4" scalloped bracing, or the engelmann top. the Marquis D28 has scalloped 5/16" bracing and an Adirondack top, but also a wider neck.. The D-41 has 5/16" scalloped, but a sitka top.

Anyone have a clue on what the best guitar (used is fine) to be basically a Johnny Cash model, in a natural finish?

Also, the D-35 has the 3 piece back... does this affect sound at all, or is it visual only?

Last edited by bbshriver; 05-18-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: no price discussion rule